Thursday, August 8, 2013

Leather Staining

So I'm trying to not reveal too much on my blog, but every week I want to post something about my upcoming wedding!  I haven't asked my bridesmaids yet...because I'm planning something special, so I don't want to spoil the surprise!

BUT, I can share the following with you: as part of my asking the girls, I needed to stain some leather.  Please keep in mind that I haven't really been all that crafty in my previous life, so I'm learning as I go!

I drove out to the nearest Hobby Lobby (which is not an easy task as it's in the next town over and takes 20 minutes if you catch all the green lights) and bought some leather stain.  I ended up using Eco-Flo, mainly because it was the only stain with instructions on the bottle.  Seriously...the only one...

The dreaded leather stain
As you can see the bottle was $5.99, but I used my iPhone Hobby Lobby app for 40% off, so it only cost me $3.59.  Seriously a great deal because I still have the entire bottle left.  I have no idea what I'm going to use it for...but I'm sure I'll figure something out (or wind up keeping it for the next 10 years and then eventually throwing it away).

It even stained my fingers and nails!
The stain was super easy, but wound up staining my fingers too!  You just take a dry cloth and rub in the stain in a circular motion.  I had to practice on a scrap piece of leather a couple times, but you pretty much get the hang of it.

Stained cloth...probably will be throwing away!

Post staining
There you have it...all the leather stained.  I had 6 pieces and it took me less than 5 minutes from beginning to end.  The longest part is the dry time, but I just left mine on the table over night.

Now that this is done I just have to finish up the packages and get them sent off!  I'm sooo excited to have the girls open their boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment