Monday, September 22, 2014

Saying Goodbye


This weekend we had the chance to hang out with some good friends. He and his family are moving to Idaho this week, and soon Andrew and I will follow suit by moving back to LA. It was a great night for all of us to see each other before we go our separate ways. 

Growing up in New Zealand saying goodbye to family and friends was never hard for me. I guess I always told myself that it's not really goodbye, it's just see you later. And that's worked for pretty much my entire life. But as I'm getting older I'm beginning to realize that it's not as easy to say goodbye to friends. It's a good problem to have, I know that, but this move has somehow made it a little bit harder. 

I've always found that technology has been a huge help for me, when trying to cope with friends being far away. I can open Facebook, Instagram, Slype, or Viber and feel that I'm in the same room again. That's one of my biggest motivators for starting this blog, so I can keep up with all my family and friends who happen to be all over the world. 

I feel incredibly lucky to say that I could point anywhere on a map and I likely know someone who lives in that area. It's a cool feeling, and I'm glad that I was given these opportunities so early in life. But, saying goodbye to a group of people that took years to get to know never gets easier.

This move is bittersweet. We have made some amazing friends in Arizona that I'm sad to leave, but on the other hand this move is great for us career-wise and will open up many more opportunities. I'm excited about this new adventure we are embarking on, and I look forward to staying in touch with everyone we've gotten to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment