Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Camping Essentials



Fall brings me an overwhelming urge to go camping. My family didn't camp much when I was a kid. My mom's version of camping was going on 3-5 day hikes carrying only day bags and where our big bags were shipped by boat to the next lodge. Don't get me wrong, that's a fabulous way to see the land. But after my intense 3 week Orientation backpacking through the Grand Canyon and Superstition Mountains - in the middle of winter - I can't help but wanting to get back to nature. I want to have no technology and immerse myself in my surroundings.

If I were to somehow convince A to go camping with me (it's a long shot, but it might happen), here's my no fuss list of serious camping essentials. If you know anything about camping you want to bring only the absolute essentials along for the ride. Everything below are worthwhile investments to bring along for your trip. 




1. Osprey Ariel 65 Pack - this is the actual pack that I own and I love it!
2. Black Diamond Headlamp - super handy for doing anything in low light: cooking, cleaning, eating, bathroom duties, you name it!
3. Crazy Creek chair - if you want to be comfortable sitting on the ground, this is the only way to do that. It's also super light and can easily roll to fit through the loops on the outside of your pack.
4. Nalgene Wide Mouth - perfect for both water and your morning coffee. This is the only bottle you need to bring.
5. Splash Guard - protect yourself from spilling out the giant Nalgene mouth hole. You're going to want one...trust me.
6. Gerber Knife - you will need a knife, but it doesn't need to be expensive or fancy...unless you want it to be.
7. Whisperlite Stove - obviously you will need something to boil your water for your morning coffee and cook your food!
8. Food Container - you can store food, eat out of it, and use the lid as a cutting board. 

2 comments: