Wednesday, May 21, 2014

We Are So LA - Apparently


A and I love supporting our school's art gallery. Seeing as we both went through art programs here, we try to make it a point to get to as many gallery openings as we can. Luckily we happened to be in town for this one. As we pulled into the parking lot my old roomie from LA called to see what I was up to. I told her we were heading into the gallery opening and she thought that was "very LA of us"! I couldn't help but laugh because I don't think I ever went to a gallery opening the entire time I lived in LA.

This is the first piece of the collection that caught my eye. This opening is actually for two separate artists - one who works with wood and metal (Carlton Bradford), the other with chalk (Brian Benfer). 


A repurposed violin case...


This artist had installation pieces. Apparently he came into the gallery a week prior and painted and chalked the walls. It's literally chalk paint with chalk etched over top. 


It's an interesting concept that grows on you the more you look at it.


Or maybe it's the punch/wine!


These pieces were pretty interesting. The one in the foreground is huge and the artist only completed it a couple months prior to the opening.


A and Helga being silly!




These two images show the installation pieces in all their glory. It was actually really cool that something so simple can have such a dramatic effect. 

I guess the next time we're living in LA we will make it a point to actually go to some gallery openings! But until then we will have to stick to our small town gatherings!

No comments:

Post a Comment